Super Inspired Writer

My photo
Look SUPER. Feel SUPER. Choose SUPER. Be SUPER.

Friday, March 8

TGIF!


I Made it to Friday…

I can’t believe that it’s Friday. Friday equals five days post-op and I am still here alive and well and drinking shakes.  My body is starting to feel back to normal, and all of the operative after-effects are finally starting to wear off, I can sleep on my side again, and wear a bra, and put my socks on =) The downside though, because there always is, with starting to feel so good is that my appetite is back…and it’s not for liquid chocolate protein.

Of course, I can’t have food right now. I am on liquid for 9 more days, then progress to purees for three more weeks. I can’t even sneak in a bite when no one is looking because it could land me back in the hospital and even I am not stupid enough to roll that dice. When they put your band in, your stomach and surrounding organs are put under stress, I mean, imagine minding your own business and then suddenly having a noose around your neck, you wouldn’t be happy either. The purpose of the post-op liquid diet then is to allow the stomach to get used to its new shape (picture a water bottle that becomes an hour glass) and to allow the swelling and air pressure from surgery to go down.  I chose to do this very drastic thing to my body and I knew what I was getting into.

That being said…..

I am starting to crave REAL food. Nothing crazy, but a nice gooey grilled cheese sandwich would be nice. Or an English Muffin with butter.  Or McDonald’s.

How sad is it that you can’t even drive a mile in any direction without being faced with your nemesis out the passenger side window. How dark the con of man. I sympathize with the addict trying to detox from drugs who can’t pass a corner without seeing a dealer. Don’t get me wrong, I knew when I made this decision that my days of scarfing down a large-sized extra value meal were over, and that no one, me or anyone else should be eating like that in the first place. But… half of a cheeseburger would be nice. Or a snack wrap. Or one of those new fish bites (hey! It’s a Filet o’ Fish without a bun, I’m being carb-concious here!!)

But this too shall pass, and for the record I am proud to say I have already survived my first encounter drinking a protein shake while my family sat ‘round the table enjoying finger-lengthed French cut potatoes fried to the perfect golden hue and then sprinkled with the perfect equation of salt and sugar to make them addicting. SURVIVED. I’M A SURVIVOR.  I almost heard Beyonce’ singing in the background.
Every time I look at my belly with its 6 teeny-tiny scars, I remind myself that I really did this. As much of a miracle worker my anesthesiologist was to knock me out of reality, it really happened. My eye is on the prize, and as you can see from MyFitnessPlan progress, I am starting to really drop pounds. My body feels lighter, I have great energy, my skin looks better, and my clothes are becoming looser.  My kids in their partial understanding are proud of me, I can tell without them saying so. That in its own is enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck, Rosie. Sounds like you're doing well.

    I had an open RNY Gastric Bypass in 2003, and it was the best decision I've ever made, health-wise. I know how hard the liquid diet is, though. I was on it for 3 months, and I was dying to chew something.

    Melisa Eaton (formerly Wiatr)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You are going to look back and think that this time went by fast, that it wasn't really that hard, that it was SO worth it. You won't feel restriction for a while, but you will make it through that time too. So glad you are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete