Super Inspired Writer

My photo
Look SUPER. Feel SUPER. Choose SUPER. Be SUPER.

Friday, June 21

To INK or not to INK?

 As I spend more and more time at the pool this summer, I am always people watching. It's one of my favorite activities and our pool seems to be a damn art gallery of options to observe and analyze. What I love about our pool is that no matter what you look like, where you are in your weight battle, or if you care at all about your size, everyone there looks real with real bodies. I also love our pool because in today's modern age the ink is extraordinary. No stranger to tattoos myself, obviously I'm checking out the gallery out on lawn chairs from behind my mirrored sunglasses.  I am always looking at the ink of others, the good the bad and the ugly, and wondering what inspired them to make their choices. Did they just walk into a tattoo shop half tipsy and chose a pic off the board not caring about future regret?? Or did they go in with a special sentimental meaning in mind? All three of my tats were well thought out and mean something special to me. Being a collector of all things metaphoric, it only makes sense to use artwork to represent special milestones in your life in my opinion, that is if you can stand a little pain. But I think for the most part what tattoos offer is a subtle voice. An icon that says, I have a story. Like an app on an iPad, they are a symbol of something much deeper, a backstory. And here is my pictogram explanation...

My first Tattoo, 2003, married 1 year. I chose this cardinal because it was my husband and I's college mascot and as you are well aware, we are star-crossed college sweethearts. I am too superstitious to put his name, because that can only lead to bad things...but regardless of what the future brings, the cardinal is who we are...forever.

My second Tattoo, 2008, after I had my kids. This symbol reminds me of them because when my son was born his eyes were wide open ready to see the world. My little one was born asleep, and stayed asleep for nearly 5 days when she finally opened her eyes. To this day they are my sun and moon, bringing balance to our everyday life. 
My third tattoo, 2013, after my Lap-Band surgery. The quote, from my favorite musical "RENT" speaks for  itself, don't you think? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rose! Glad to have stumbled upon your blog! I was wondering if you feature guest postings. Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'n new at this so I'm not really sure what you mean by that? And thanks!

    ReplyDelete