Super Inspired Writer

My photo
Look SUPER. Feel SUPER. Choose SUPER. Be SUPER.

Thursday, October 17

Soccer MOM

I played soccer.

I PLAYED SOCCER!!

Last night, the coaches for my son’s soccer team (my husband is one of them) organized a surprise Parent versus Kid soccer scrimmage at practice last night. This isn’t the first time this has happened, but it is the first time I was brave enough to attend let alone play.

Not gonna lie, I almost backed out. I am a real pussy when it comes to cold and rain and gloomy ass looking clouds above my head and that’s just what it was. I texted the head coach about 7 hours before the game to see if it should be rescheduled and was shot down. I asked my son on a scale of 1-10 how important it was that mom show up to this event and he said a 5.  No help there.

This could ether go two ways. I could either sit on the couch as God intended in my snuggie with my coffee and feel guilty for ditching my son, or I could put on my big girl panties and Under Armour hoodie and go.  Reluctantly, I chose the latter.

We got there and it was a chaotic mix of people all over the pitch. No one was really playing any positions, parents and kids were running everywhere. My son looked at me with the I-see-you two finger hand gesture and told me he’d go easy on me. I reminded him (and myself!!) of something. “Let’s do this buddy! Your mom runs now!” And that’s just what I did. I started to run, and run, and run. I kicked the ball a few times (and missed a few, damn left foot)  and sent the ball soaring with a hard knee pop. Some little shit kicked me hard in the shin and I have the battle wound to prove it. But I ran. And I wasn’t dying. In fact, I wasn’t even tired and breathing just fine.  I could have belted out the National Anthem. It felt AMAZING.

This was a pinnacle moment for me. Even more so that all the past milestones of fitting into this or that, of not being the fattest one in a picture, of wearing tall boots in public. I played soccer with my kid and ran and kept up with him and kicked his ass if I do say so myself. THIS is what it is all about. My brand new life. It brings me to tears.

I can’t say this enough times to those that are reading this. If you are in a position where you are buried alive like I was….DO SOMETHING. I don’t care what. If you need my help I am there for you. You deserve to live just as much as I did.  


Nike had a good point……….Just Do It. 

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome story! Thank you for sharing. You did exactly what I hope to be able to do with my little one as he grows up and my dream is to find enough strength with the band to make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It's amazing how your life can change, i am proof of that and you will be too =)

    ReplyDelete