Super Inspired Writer

My photo
Look SUPER. Feel SUPER. Choose SUPER. Be SUPER.

Monday, November 11

Flashdance

Dearest Zumba,
Where have you been all my life?
You had me at “body roll”.



I can’t believe a theater and dance girl like me took so freaking long to get her ass into a Zumba class!! I don’t know it I was just scared off by the whole group instruction thing, or maybe just because I see exercise as such a mind-numbing just me and my iPod activity, but really, I almost feel incredibly sad for myself that I let so much time elapse before I tried this aerobic activity.

In a nutshell…I LOVED IT!

My mom and I were a few minutes late into the classroom so we quickly took spots in the back row. What I realized very quickly is that there is little instruction, the routines just start and you catch on when you can and get going. Luckily, I have a dance background so I was able to pick up the steps pretty quickly. In fact, if I do say so myself, as a first timer I was able to keep up marvelously and could possibly be up toward the front in just a few more tries. I can see a ball-change from a mile away. I got this.

In what I call my past life, I danced on the stage, in costumes, in swing dresses,  at Disney, in dance classes, and at Zero Gravity. I had tap shoes, and jazz shoes, and three-inch heel character shoes. I had stocking feet in late night dorm rooms blaring show tunes and hip-hop. Dancing was just as much a part of my foundation as singing was. It was who I was.

And then life hit me like a ton of bricks. I was so focused on being a good wife and mother that I kinda left the old me behind only in pictures. But when we are our truest selves, we shine, and everything around us shines too. Singing and dancing is NOT who I was but rather who I AM.

And I am someone who loves Zumba.

Zumba, you are permanently in the weekly rotation.
Group Cycle, I hate to break this to you but fuck you and the bike seat that is still plaguing me where the sun don’t shine.

Love,

Rosie

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! I actually look forward to Zumba and have a blast doing it! Spin, on the other hand, is just a pain in my... Well, you know ;)

    ReplyDelete