Super Inspired Writer

My photo
Look SUPER. Feel SUPER. Choose SUPER. Be SUPER.

Tuesday, November 26

Numbers Don't Lie

It’s so easy to be slave to the scale. It’s there every day, waiting for you during that very short window between when you wake up, go to the bathroom, and get undressed to jump in the shower. Your stomach is empty from a night of sleep, and depending on how many blankets you have piled on your bed, your body has sweat out a decent amount of water weight. When you don’t see what you like, you get discouraged, frustrated, and may even say to hell with all this and eat a shit ton of junk food that day. When you do see what you want, you feel empowered and positive and motivated. Such a small contraption has such a hold over our emotional health, very much so more than our physical health.

You have heard me say how frustrated I am personally with my stall in weight loss. Today I went to see my dream team of pros and got some solid answers.

First of all, they were thrilled with my 4 lb. weight loss since September 10. They said that I have lost more than most of their Lap-Band patients, a total of 58% of my excess body weight. They also reminded me that unlike the other more invasive surgeries, band patients can expect to lose their weight over the course of 1-3 years. I’m 9 months out. I’m ahead of schedule. Then they ask you what you have been eating. It would be so much easier to lie and say grilled chicken and broccoli every night, but in reality who would that help? I admitted that last week I ate a Jimmy John’s sub for lunch with no problems….which is not supposed to be possible. The surgeon said that he would probably give me a whole cc based on that admittance, but because it’s Thanksgiving and he doesn’t want me sick for the long weekend I only got shot with ½ cc. This gives me 3 cc total now.

I then asked them about my “goal weight” and if I had one. Everyone is asking me how much I need to lose, and I have been saying an even hundo because that’s MY goal with forty two pounds to go. Still I wondered what the center was thinking since they hadn’t really said much about an end goal. Pretty much they want to see a BMI of 29 or under. They also said not to look online at weight charts because some of the healthy weight ranges are hard for most people to reach, even athletes. A BMI of 29 is still “overweight” but if you are active and your body is mostly lean muscle, then the number on the scale isn’t something to fret about.

At the end of my appointment I asked for a Body Fat Analysis. The last time I was on that machine was last November so it had been a full year since I got data. DAMN was that a wake up call. First of all, I have lost 55 lbs of FAT and only 1 lb of LEAN MUSCLE, which they were pretty impressed by.  It’s all the working out. I told them about my new found love of Zumba and my new shoes. Their response was, “they have Zumba shoes??”


So now we move on to a dieters worst nightmare of seasons. But I’m not a dieter. I am a Lap-Band patient. This is my life now and I have so much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment