Super Inspired Writer

My photo
Look SUPER. Feel SUPER. Choose SUPER. Be SUPER.

Sunday, November 3

Race Day

Of all the milestones that I have waited for this year, today was finally race day…the day that I would run my first 5K.
I have been training since the spring, walking at first, then walking longer, then adding spurts of jogging until I could do about ½ and ½.
I tried to recruit as many people as possible but our little pack ended up being myself, my mom, a friend, and after a second friend had to bail my husband ended up taking her spot. The four of us got up at 4:30 am and headed into the city as the sun was rising. Bundled up in our weather gear and free jackets, we got in line with about 20,000 other runners.
At the finish line...
They herded us like cattle, but for a 7:45 start time, our corral started off at 8:10.
We jogged some, and walked some, and then me and my friend took off ahead of my husband and mother, rocking intervals of walking and jogging every few minutes. As much as I wanted to stay in our pack, I also wanted to push myself, challenge myself, and beat the time I had been averaging at the gym, which was about 50 minutes. My husband stayed with Mom and power walked with her, a huge accomplishment for her age as well, we all were showing our inner strength together.
I finished at 43:55 minutes. Crossing that finish line was one of the best NSVs of my journey so far (non-scale victory). Loosing weight is a numbers game, and let’s face it you can’t get from here to there without shedding the extra baggage…but running a race is about power and strength and felt goddamned amazing I’m not gonna lie.
I’ve caught the bug now. My husband and I plan to register for a 10-mile race on Memorial Day weekend whose finish line is the 50-yard line of Soldier field. We also plan to commemorate my son’s 9th birthday in June with a 5K right in our hometown. And in the meantime and in-between time, I will keep moving. No one could have prepared me for this level of excitement toward exercise. I don't know who this girl is but I certainly like her much better. 

2 comments:

  1. Great job! This year has become race year for me too! I have already completed three 5ks and a 15k. I am shuffling a 5k in two weeks with Jen B. My eventual goal is to complete the Tower of Terror 10 miler in Disney World next October. I hope that you keep up the good work and continue to enjoy the satisfaction of making your goals along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! That's is such an awesome accomplishment and you looked fantastic doing it!

    ReplyDelete