Super Inspired Writer

My photo
Look SUPER. Feel SUPER. Choose SUPER. Be SUPER.

Tuesday, December 31

Good Measure

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
Five hundred twenty-five thousand moments so dear
Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights, in sunsets
In midnights, in cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife
In five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure a year in the life?
 


You may think I am narcissistic. But really I am just your average ex-theater-stage-diva-costume-wearing-showchoir-soprano-attention-getter. I am me and I take selfies. I know I post a million pictures of myself, but let’s not forget pictures of my handsome man, and my adorable kids. I post pictures of my parents, my nephews, and sometimes my students. So why then is it okay for a photographer to capture your best moments but not yourself? Double standard I say. Don’t judge me and I won’t judge you, k?
This is my year in selfies. Just as I have taken pictures of myself up in my room on every monthly bandiversary since my surgery on March 4, I also take pictures of myself in social settings, in homes, outside in the sunshine, in classrooms, on my deck, in my car. I take pictures not because I think I am some beautiful thing, because TRUST ME I do not think this and have the apothecary to prove it. It’s because I want to document where I have been and where I am now. To capture the moments where I feel most like myself, theatrical and playful and free. Alive. 

How will you measure 2014? Measure in love.

1 comment: